Flying out

So we’re sitting in Toronto Pearson airport about to board a plane (I might be a little premature, boarding isn’t for another hour). We haven’t even left Canada and all ours plans seem to have changed already!

But first things first. Packing. I own a lot of clothing. And everyone told me how much of a challenge it would be to try to pack for this trip. My baggage allowance was 25kg in any number of combined bags. So I took a backpackers pack and a suitcase (as well as a carry-on bag). So I dutifully laid out my clothing, separating about a third of it for a shortlist and narrowing from there. When my mother saw my pile I clothing she was surprised. I was actually taking a very reasonable amount according to her (6 shirts for backpacking, 2 pairs of pants, etc). So I packed it up in my suitcase and pack (with the help of handy-dandy compression packs) and everything fit without too much difficulty! Until I put it on the scale and realized I had to drop 18lbs. Overnight. And anyone who’s tried extreme dieting knows this is no easy feat! So I unpacked everything, took out some more clothes, narrowed down my toiletries and first aid kit and repacked. I still was 10lbs over. So I weighed my empty suitcase and found it weighed a bloody ton. One new (from the basement) suitcase later, and more discards, I finally had baggage that weighed 2lbs over the allowed limit (but my pack has plenty of extra room now!). So I said screw it and decided I would pay for the extra baggage. So my parents drove me to the airport and helped my unload my luggage. I checked in, put my baggage on the scale and low and behold – it measured 24kg (1kg under)! My bathroom scale is off (which is nice for everyone’s waistline at my house, but very stressful when it comes to packing!

Now I’m in the airport guarding the luggage while Janice buys a few souvenirs for our hosts in various places,  and I can sit and think and write (and hope I didn’t forget anything). Our plans were to stay in the UK for almost two days before flying to Athens on friday and continuing through Greece. But with the strikes (no flights and delays) and rioting, we’re reconsidering our plans. we haven’t quite figured out what the alternative will be, but we’ll have a few more days in the UK (in Nottingham) to figure it out. We’ll keep you updated too!


Leave a comment

Filed under Travel

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s