So recently I had a hankering for pizza. But being lazy and unwilling to wander beyond the confines of my home once I get back from a long day at work, I didn’t want to go out and pick up a pizza. Plus I find commercial pizza is rather heavy and greasy – not qualities I was looking for. Luckily, making your own pizza (including dough) is incredibly easy, cheap and quite quick!
To make pizza dough, just toss together a few ingredients and wait. It’s super forgiving.
• 1 cup warm water
• 1 tbsp dry active yeast
• 1-2 tbsp sugar
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tsp salt
• 3 cups flour
1. Mix water, yeast and sugar in a bowl and let sit for a couple minutes to get the process going.
2. Add the oil and salt and then use a wooden spoon to stir in the first two cups of flour.
3. Once it comes together into a ball (adding more flour if needed) take it out and need for a couple minutes until smooth but not sticky (adding more flour as necessary). Just remember it’s better to have less flour for better textured dough.
4. Rub some oil in a large bowl, add the dough ball and flip it to cover with oil. Let sit for about 40 minutes or until doubled in size.
5. Once it’s doubled, roll/ press the dough out onto your pizza pans being careful not to rip the dough. Top as desired and bake 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
I topped my pizza with an easy tomato basil sauce, fresh mozzarella slices and some chopped up basil. Yummy!