Ginger is one of my favourite flavours. I love it in both sweet and savoury items and I must admit my favourite cookies are ginger cookies. One day I may share my grandmother’s recipes for the best ginger cookies ever. I love how warming ginger is and how it soothes the soul (and the throat during cold season). Ginger baked goods signify winter and although winter is officially over it has been rainy and cold here for the last week. That means its the perfect time for comforting baking.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh, grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs; beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Stir in the molasses and hot water. Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool.
Serve with whipped cream, warm or cool as you like.