Today is my fabulous Mommy’s birthday! And Cinqo de Mayo! So Happy Birthday Mom! When we were younger, mom often had carrot cake for her birthday. Its seems a favourite with most people (for the mild sweetness, the creamy cheese icing and the delusion that it counts as a ‘vegetable’). Any way you bake it, carrot cake is delicious. For me, cupcakes are my go to form of cake because they’re transportable, easily shared and less messy than cutting into a cake. So here are Carrot Cupcakes for my sweet mommy’s birthday. Remember the key is not to over mix or they’ll be tough!
Carrot Cupcake Recipe:
- 1 1/3 cups grated raw carrot (about 3 medium carrots)
- 1 small apple, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Place paper liners in 12 muffin cups.
- Toast the pecans or walnuts for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely.
- Peel and finely grate the carrots and apple. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon. Stir in the nuts and coconut.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, and vanilla extract. Fold the wet ingredients, along with the grated carrot and apple, into the flour mixture, stirring just until moistened. Evenly divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups and bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. After about 10 minutes remove the muffins from the pans and cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
Makes 12 standard-sized muffins.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer. With the mixer on low-speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla extract