Happy Canada Day from across the pond! Canada day in my family is normally celebrated at the cottage with a bonfire and the appropriate alcoholic beverages! That’s what the rest of my family is doing currently, while I spent my day in Nottingham making Chinese Dumplings and Canada Day Cupcakes while listening to my Canada day playlist! (Highlights from the playlist include Mother Mother, the Black Keys and, of course, Great Big Sea!)
I didn’t feel like traditional red and white cupcakes (I wanted chocolate!) and I already had Canada flag cupcake liners courtesy of Janice’s trip back to Canada, so my red and white was already covered! I decided to make dark chocolate lemon cupcakes with lemonade buttercream. They were moist and delicious (Janice certainly agreed!)
Dark Chocolate and Lemon Cupcakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- zest of one lemon
- 200 grams dark chocolate
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line 12 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, salt, baking soda, sugar and zest. Stir to combine.
- Melt chocolate and allow to cool.
- Add eggs, sour cream, oil, vanilla and melted chocolate to dry ingredients, stirring until combined.
- Fill liners 3/4 full with cupcake batter and bake for 15-18 minutes or until baked through. Let cool completely.