Coconut is so summery and tropical. I find even when its the dark of winter one of these cupcakes can cheer almost anyone. I made these for a friend’s birthday as coconut is her favourite and I can rarely make them without her requiring one for herself! I love this combination of coconut and white chocolate – almost like a bounty bar! If the buttercream was changed to a milk or dark chocolate then I would certainly call these Bounty Cupcakes. The cupcake would also be well-suited by a fruit or a coconut frosting.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup butter, soft
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (or reduced coconut milk)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Whisk flour, salt, baking powder into a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Add vanilla to coconut milk and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluff. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Continue to beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add flour mixture and coconut milk mixture in 3 additions, beating after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl so batter is evenly mixed. Fold in shredded coconut.
- Fill muffin cups evenly, about 3/4 full. Bake cupcakes until cakes gently spring back when touched, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Let cupcakes rest in pan for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely before frosting.
White Chocolate Buttercream
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- Pinch of salt
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- a couple tbsp milk or cream
- 6 oz. good quality white chocolate, melted and cooled
- Cream the butter and salt together, adding sugar 1/2 cup at a time and beating until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla and a tbsp of milk or cream at time mixing until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the melted white chocolate gently.
- Beat frosting for an additional 3 minutes until fluffy. Add more sugar or milk if needed.
- Ice cupcakes and sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired.