Its Valentines Day! Admittedly not one of my favourite holidays but any day that encourages more love is pretty good in my books. Sweets are traditional for Valentines day and who doesn’t want to spread the love with delicious treats? For Valentines I wanted a sweet cupcake with some traditional pink colouring so I went with a white chocolate cupcake with strawberry buttercream. This cupcake is moist and buttery with a smooth clean chocolate flavour and the strawberry buttercream is sweet and fluffy (plus a pretty pink without any artificial colourings!)
White Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- scant 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of butter
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces white chocolate, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 325’F. Line a cupcake pan, I recommend using liners on the small side because these cupcakes do shrink as the cool and may pull away from the liners. I used Valentines ones with hearts!
- Sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light & fluffy, usually takes a couple of minutes!
- Beat in eggs one at a time and then stir in the chocolate and vanilla, mixing well.
- Add the dry ingredients alternating with the milk. Mix well after each addition. Divide batter evenly into prepared cupcake pan (fill slightly more than usual).
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until cupcakes spring back.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 6-8 strawberries pureed till smooth
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 lb icing sugar (as needed)
- Cream butter until very soft, add strawberries and vanilla and beat in.
- Slowly add icing sugar about a cup at a time until the consistency and taste seem right.
- Turn up the mixer and beat for a couple of minutes until fluffy.