This recipe I adapted from an old favoured cookbook of mine – Moosewood Lowfat Favourites. This recipe definitely does not taste ‘healthy’ and its delicious. It makes an excellent vegetarian main and normally I serve with with a rice pilaf or salad and some other vegetables or side. Its spicy and creamy and tastes very exotic!
Thai Broiled Eggplant
- 1lb eggplant, cut into lengthwise slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- juice from 1/2 of a lime, or a little more
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 of a chili pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- Preheat broiler. Score a diamond pattern into the eggplant, cutting about halfway through the slices.
- Arrange the eggplant slices on a baking sheet. Press the garlic into the eggplant, and drizzle with the soy sauce. Broil for about 5 minutes on each side or until tender. The eggplant will be browned.
- Mix together remaining ingredients and drizzle over the eggplant before serving.